Our Organic foods are grown with the highest standards
At Gateway Supermarket, we take healthy eating seriously. We carry a large selection of healthy organic groceries from the United States. Our products are held to the highest standard of organic testing to earn the coveted USDA stamp of approval.
Click on "Organic Products" below to learn more about our offerings. We are always adding to our selection, so you may see items in our store that might not be featured on the website. Give us a call, or better yet, come check us out!
Read below to learn more about
- What is Organic Food?
- Benefits of Organic Food
WHAT IS ORGANIC FOOD?
Organic foods are crops or livestock cultivated by an organic farming process. Unlike conventional mass farming, which is employed by industrialized food manufacturers, organic farming uses a more natural cultivation process, which avoids pesticides, chemical fertilizers, industrial solvents, or synthetic food additives. Organic crops are grown in safe soil, they are not genetically modified in any way, and must be kept separate from non-organic food during the packaging process. Similarly, organic livestock are given access to the outdoors and are fed organic feed.
The following are not used in the cultivation of organic crops:
- Synthetic Pesticides
- Bioengineered Genes
- Petroleum-based Fertilizers
- Sewage Sludge-based Fertilizers
The following are not used in the cultivation of organic livestocks:
- Growth Hormones
- Animal products
Benefits of Organic Foods
Recent studies has shown that an organic diet provides a number of benefits to both the Hong Kong consumer and the environment. Firstly, organic foods do not contain processed additives, which have been shown to be harmful to the human body. They also have higher levels of beneficial nutrients, such as cancer-fighting antioxidants, compared to their conventional counterparts. Here's a quick summary of their potential benefits.
- Fewer Pesticides - Pesticides are used to combat insects and other harmful parasites. Residue pesticides in conventional food often make their way into our diet.
- No Antibiotics, growth hormones, animal feed - Unhealthy methods permeates the livestock industry. Antibiotics, growth hormones, and animal-based feed food are often used treat diseases, improve yield, and feed livestocks. Organic livestocks avoid such practices.
- Fresher - Organic food uses a lot less preservative and therefore has to be much fresher when it hits the shelves.
- Better for the environments - Organic farming is overall much better for the environment. There is less environmental pollution and soil erosion associated with organic farming methods.